Monday, December 8, 2014

The End is NOT in Sight! (From December 1)

Hey Family,

Oh boy.  So I first want to start with today.  Today was crazy.  It started out good and normal, and then it went odd.  So what happened is, we were shopping in the grocery store and this guy stopped to ask us where something was.  When he realized we weren't workers he said oh ok.  But then he came back and started railing into us.  He basically told us we were going to hell and that we don't believe in Christ and that all the work we are doing is a waste of time.  We were both a little shocked.  
It was very frustrating because he wouldn't even let us talk.  He just kept speaking and we would try to say something and he would talk over us.  So we asked him if he has read the Book of Mormon.  And that sent him off saying that there is nothing that could possibly be put up next to the bible.  And anything that did is a fallacy.  He was really rude.  And so I said, well, I'm sorry but we need to leave.  But he kept talking.  And my companion didn't realize that she said this, but we said he could say anything about the Book of Mormon unless he has read it.  And he refused and said stuff, and my comp said, well you can't have an opinion about it until you read it.  And we walked away.  He was really fired up.  And it looked like he wanted to keep talking to us, but he left.  And then he disappeared. it was so odd.  We didn't see him in the store.  He was just gone.  
Needless to say we were a little shaken.  I was honestly frustrated that someone would claim to believe in Christ and then attack us to shamelessly.  It was ridiculous. It made me think back to the crusades and all those people who thought that militant Christianity was the way to go and they must force their opinions on others.  And I guess it is just sad to me, that the 11th article of faith really is necessary because of people like that.  I am still in a little bit of shock about what happened.  I mean, I've gone my entire mission without someone explicitly saying you're going to hell.  They have definitely implied it, but never said it to my face.  But this guy did.  And all I can say is this, I feel bad for the guy.  I feel bad that he refuses to let the Gospel of Jesus Christ change him.  And that is his choice.  Depressing.
So on to a happier note. Thanksgiving was super fun!  We had dinner at the memorial.  With all the senior couples and a few others.  It was a party!  And they cook really well!  That was definitely a bonus.  I love all the senior couples here.  They are awesome.  It is like have grandparent around always willing to help.  And we try to help them too. :)
Friday we had an odd day.  We did our weekly planning and then we went up to the memorial.  The directors there asked us if we would make a ginger bread nativity.  I've never made ginger bread until that day.   And I didn't realize what it took to make ginger bread.  We then had to decorate and make it all look nice.  It took us forever.  But we got it done just in time for the Christmas lighting ceremony at the JSM.  What they do, is they have a live nativity and then they turn on the lights of Christmas.  Which we helped set  up. :)  It was so cool!  There were so many people there and missionaries.  And we were able to talk with them and invite and testify.  It was so cool! I am so glad I was able to be there and see everything there.  It was beautiful!
Saturday we went out trying to contact some less actives.  And then we went back up to the JSM for the next lighting ceremony. That was fun. More people and lots of fun.  I love Christmas.
So the reason why I titled my e-mail what I did is because there is a ensign message from years ago about always being in the middle.  So I figure, I will always be a missionary.  So going home is just a place that I will be in not regression, but the next step for progression.  But that doesn't mean I want to go home.  No offense to you all.  I love you and want to see you.  I just want to be a set apart missionary. :) 
That is all.  We had a few less actives at church.
I saw a couple families from past areas.  The Swains from Laconia came here.  :)  They were the family we lived with.  That was fun.

That's all.  I love you all!
Love always and Forever,
Sister Lundahl

No comments:

Post a Comment